Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Creature of Habit

So I've come to the realization that if you looked up "creature of habit" in the dictionary, you would see a photograph of my daughter. Yup, that's right ... habit could be her middle name. For the most part, this has made Abby such a happy baby and her Mama ... well, a happy Mama. I mean I can't really complain. She sleeps like a champ, at nap times and through the night, and eats at basically the same times everyday (and eats anything). I am extremely thankful that Abby has become a "sleeper."

However, there are times when things come up and Abby may not get a scheduled nap time or she may go to bed a little later than usual. Let's take a look at last Friday for example. Friday night, my parents and I decided to take Abby to her Daddy's game. I knew it was risky, we'd be out late, but at least I'd catch an O's game and Abby could see her Daddy before and after the game, and I could steal a kiss from that handsome man I call my hubby. Much to my surprise, Abby was a delight! She waved to everyone we passed, enjoyed playing with some of the ladies in the suite, made googly eyes at the Oriole Bird, and sat in her stroller taking everything in for a solid three innings.

The only downside of the evening was the dreaded bedtime.... 11:3o pm. Whoa! Abby hasn't seen that time in months!! She slept well, woke up late, which started the weekend frenzy. That child skipped her morning nap on Saturday, took a late afternoon nap, and was in bed at 10. What?! Then Sunday, no nap at all. Double WHAT?! We were finally back to bedtime at 8 on Monday night. Needless to say, that ONE night of unordinary completely wrecked her schedule. Did it wreck our weekend? No. Was I one tired Mama? Yes.

It's not just nap times and bedtimes, it's also the little things. Abby will only take one kind of bottle. A month ago, I tried switching from the Dr. Brown's bottles to the Playtex drop in bottles and she would have nothing to do with it. Now I'm working on switching to sippy cups and having a hard time with that. Abby drinks water from a sippy but wants her milk only in a bottle.

Ugh, habit. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it makes for a challenge. Do any of you Mamas have any recommendations on the switch from a bottle to sippy? Ideally, I'd like her to only have a bottle at night. Hmmm... what are your thoughts? Help!

And this my friends ... is the face I get when a habit is broken.
I am so thankful I don't see this face much!

2 comments:

Meant to be a mom said...

That last picture could not be more cute.

She sounds so much like my son. Great sleeper, goes along with whatever. But the sippy, and starting him on baby food and all the big changes when it comes to food were all difficult. He learned over time and now does great but I totally get what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Look at that picture!!! It's so sad but in a really cute way! I obviously can't give you the "mommy" advice, but I can tell you that I am happy you went to the game and realized that you CAN take her off her schedule and it will eventually get back on track. That must be a freeing feeling to know you can do what you want to do and Abby will be her normal, trooper self! Get back here already- can't wait to see you guys!