Saturday, April 10, 2010

Abby's "School"



I've blogged a little bit about Abby's daycare here and there, but tonight I want to share what was so great about it! For those of you that don't know, Abby was going to daycare on Tuesdays and Thursdays to give me some "Mommy" days. These days gave me time to catch up on laundry, house cleaning, shopping, and meeting friends for lunch. It was these days that I could take a 30 minute shower without singing "The Wheels on the Bus" to entertain a bored baby or take a nap if I was overly tired (Okay, so I think I napped only once) and to basically recharge my batteries! :) Not only was this helping me, but Abby truly enjoyed being there. It was great for her to interact with other babies. Maybe they didn't talk or actually play together, but Abby had a lot to watch and just by watching other babies, was able to learn a lot.

I don't think of La Petite Academy as a daycare, since it's more like a school to me. Yes, they are watching Abby while I'm away, but they do so much with her, even as an infant. The infant room itself is full of toys, colorful walls, and bulletin boards that are often changed. Pictures are put up on the walls for parents to enjoy and see what their child has been up to. It's such an inviting place!

With the help of Abby's wonderful teachers (Ms. Katie is in the top picture), she would play with noodles (tactile learning), finger paint and make crafts for the holidays, practice tummy time, listen to music ... you name it, they did it. I love that the teachers are doing hands on activities with these children, at such a young age. It's so important for their learning development.

I've come a long way from that first day that I dropped her off at school. I was a mess ... it was all so new to me and I had never left her with people that I really didn't know. I called my mom right away, in tears, ready to turn the car around and go get that sweet baby. She told me to keep driving and that everything would be okay. Moms are always right ... I'm glad I did it and I'm truly going to miss Abby's school while we are in Baltimore. The good news is that we will be returning to La Petite in October! :)

Abby before going to school one morning.

A card given to Abby....

... from her friends at school!

This Easter craft was just too cute!

Abby's painted Easter egg :)

No comments: