Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What I'm reading ...

A few months back, I was driving home from babysitting my BFF's daughter and was listening to my favorite Christian radio station. There was a lady doing a phone interview with the station and right away I was intrigued by what she was saying. She was talking about recent books she had written, specifically a book titled, "Am I Messing Up My Kids?" Her soft voice, funny parenting stories, and strong faith in God made me want to know more about her.

So I went home and googled her name. Lysa TerKeurst. Turns out she is a Christian mentor, an author of many books, and a mother of five children, two of which are adopted. The way she talked about parenting literally made me laugh out loud that night in the car and I couldn't wait to dive into this book of hers.

As it always seems to happen, time got away from me and I procrastinated buying the book on Amazon. Lucky for me, I have a close friend that was ordering something for herself and knew I wanted to read this book. Thanks D for thinking of me and ordering it for me ... because I would still have "buy that book" on my to do list.

The first chapter of the book reached out to me... it was almost like the words on the each page were written just for me. No one else, just me. That's how much I was able to relate to everything she was saying. Lysa tells about how being a parent isn't always simple. Even a trip to a store with a toddler can be quite chaotic. You know those times ... times when it looks like you are having a major parent fail, when in reality your child would be so much happier running and playing instead of being buckled into a cart. It's just like the child you looked at before you were even pregnant and said to yourself, "my child will never act like that." We've all been there. But then you have a moment like this yourself and it all comes full circle. It's not your fault. It's not the way you parent. It's just the way life is.

I'm hoping this book will provide me with ways to be more patient and prevent me from focusing on the things that are out of my control. I want help from God on becoming the best Mama I can be.

If you want a good read, you should definitely make "buy this book" a priority on your to do list. Or check out her blog for short, inspirational stories. http://lysaterkeurst.com/

Photobucket

1 comment:

Meant to be a mom said...

Thanks for the info on the book. Its sounds like a really good one.