Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Anxiety with big cats, but fun.

A couple weekends back, we joined friends for an adventure (and an adventure it was) to Big Cat Habitat. I didn't know much about this place other than they were a rescue for wild animals. At first it saddened me to see the animals cooped up in small cages that are nothing like their real habitat. The poor bear paced back and forth while we watched from behind the bars. That poor bear was still pacing back and forth when we left two hours later. But ... after learning more about the facility, these animals have been moved around from home to home several times. Some of them may not even be alive if it weren't for this rescue. All of the adopted animals will live in this "home" forever. So all in all, the Big Cat Habitat is the best thing they have.

Before the start of the show, I'm pretty sure the mamas were having mini anxiety attacks. Do any of the photos above give you a clue as to why?! I couldn't help but feel like we would be on the ten o'clock news for being attacked by a tiger that escaped from the ring. We were just a few rows back from a small ring that contained these large animals. Metal gates, not very sturdy looking, were the only thing separating us from lions and tigers. A little scary, yes. A little thrilling, yes... I guess. Finally I was able to put my anxiety to rest and enjoy the show.

Abby definitely took in everything. She especially loved the horses, dogs, and monkeys. In fact, the only thing she didn't really love was the tigers growl. Chloe loved the "nay nays" and clapped for them as they raced around the ring. Abby had such a fun time with her friends and it's always nice to do something new... and different.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Carol said...

I think you described this perfectly! Awesome and sad at the same time. That was fun, we'll have to make an annual adventure out of it. I like that photo of me and chlo - she's making my hands clap! And, is my hair really that long? Why are my kids so bald?