Sunday, September 23, 2012

I'm getting used to it.

Almost two weeks ago Levi came home from the cranial center with a baby blue doc band (helmet) fitted for his tiny, little head.

The initial fitting went well and Levi seemed okay with his new "accessory." I'll admit it... I was the one with issues ...

My baby looked adorable and seemed happy, but I still couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for him. Yes, I know he's just five months old. But nonetheless, my heart was aching. I couldn't get it out of my head that Levi would have to wear the helmet twenty three hours a day for this treatment to be successful. Thankfully the helmet is super light, weighing only seven ounces. So I had to keep reminding myself that the helmet is not uncomfortable for him, just new and something he would gradually get used to. He would learn to play in it and sleep in it, which surprisingly didn't take long at all. It's not always easy, but as time goes on it won't be such a challenge.  There are even times when I take his helmet off for a small break and he rubs his head over and over ... almost like he's missing it!

The hardest part for me is how much I miss snuggling with that sweet little head of his. I miss kissing it twenty times a day and smelling the yummy baby shampoo in his hair. I miss rubbing his head as he's drifting off to sleep.

I've been encouraged by friends that have been in this situation and have been reading a few blogs that share their journey with the helmet and their wonderful success stories. It has definitely made me rethink our journey quite a bit!

I know we are making the best decision for our little guy. I know and expect people will stare and ask questions. (so far Levi has been asked by a three year old if he had a boo boo, was called a wrestler by a elementary aged boy, was asked by an elderly man if he would be okay out of deepest concern and he then prayed over him, and has had a group of teenagers laugh at him and literally make fun of him). I know I'm going to miss my snuggle time but will look forward to the hour before bed each day and smother him with as many kisses as I can. And most importantly, I will continue to rub his head and kiss him throughout the day because the helmet is a part of him. It's a part of our journey, at least for the next couple of months ... so why not make the best of it?

And seriously ... Could he be any cuter?!?


Cara said...

He is so adorable!!! You are right, he and you will get through it and once this is over you'll see it as only a little blip in his blessed life.

WeeMason's Mom said...

You are totally right when you say the hardest part is for you! Our helmet journey was a zillion times harder on US than it was on Mason - he barely noticed and actually had a harder time adjusting to life without a helmet (he loved to sound it made when he bumped his head on a wall LOL) than to life with a helmet. Mason spent 6 months in his helmet and it seemed like ETERNITY then and now it's hard to remember those days.

You're doing the right thing, he looks ABSOLUTELY adorable, and he's gonna have the cutest little ROUND head when you're done!

(We got a lot of "Oh, it's one of those things that protects their heads when they're learning to walk" "Oh, he must have seizures" and "Look at the little football player!" comments)